Friday, April 11, 2014

Neglected Identity – A special Issue of Biftu Bari


propaganda_map_of_the_oromo_liberation_frontEven though my story is not as compelling and thrilling as the story of “Chaltu as Helen”, I still find it amusing to see some Oromo’s introduce themselves in two characters. Perhaps you are wondering what I am referring to. Let me take you through. It was just this past Sunday I run into a beautiful young Oromo woman. Just after she walked in through the doors with her husband, she introduced herself to me with a typical Habesha name. I couldn’t pronounce her name but I introduced myself as well. With excitement on her face she told me her actual name was … (let just say typical Oromo name). Now, I am not in any way downgrading her for fallen short of stating her real name her Habesha friends, rather I was heartbroken and saddened by the fact this happen too often.


By Seenaa Jimjimoo | April 11, 2014
It is no surprise to me, as it is no surprise to you that there are too many Oromo men and women that simply wants to blend with Habeshas easily they neglected who they are. In fact I have no problem using the name Ethiopia to define where you came from. I understand it is the easiest thing to say and shortest to explain to non-Ethiopians and to receive a warm welcome from your best-friends “Habesha” some us dearly want.
However, have you considered the other side, the damages you are causing? Perhaps not, if you did I believe most likely you will make a better choice. The simple statement of your Ethiopianzation does not only renounce your Oromumma, but it also leads you to lose the priceless opportunity to teach your true identity. It made you to acknowledge that you are indeed just another Habasha from that country. Remember the notion of “Ethiopianzation” failed you to use the noble opportunity to be a role model to young generation that looks up to you and to your peers that was might be waiting for you to lead the way so they too, can claim who they are. You know more than anyone, your people, and your kind were prosecuted and killed for simply being an Oromo. In fact, most us come to this country claiming the Ethiopian government prosecuted us or our parents.
I dare each Oromo person to speak your mother tongue around Habeshas. For some reason, the best-friend you knew too well will show you a different side of his or hers, the side you never thought he/she has in them; perhaps you already know that, maybe that is why you want to avoid bringing up your identity. For me, I have seen it too many, Habeshas acting surprised that I was Oromo and I don’t speak their language or even worst, giving me the “eye” because I announced I was proud to be an Oromo.
On the other hand, I’m a witness to the changes in the country so called Ethiopia. It was just eight years ago the Ethiopian embassy staffer thought it was funny an Oromo person requested for translator. Eight years later I witnessed great change and pride to be an Oromo. Here at home, where I lived over half of life I met so many young Habasha men that claim to be part Oromo. Now a days, being half-Oromo seem to be “the Thing” (trend). Perhaps some of these men are motivated to get my number; nevertheless it makes me happy to know once a shameful name has finally became/becoming a popular thing. I just want to acknowledge those changes came with so much blood and struggle.
While our battles are far from being over, I would like to state that I understand the argument some of us (Oromos) make. Some of us will say, “Our problem is not with name Ethiopia rather the Ethiopian government or even worst not the Ethiopians rather their leaders”. I say to you the name Ethiopia and the government is one and the same. Whether it is the Tigrian or the Amhara or its people, all committed the same act. When their leaders killed our innocent men and woman in like places Aannolle and Calanko, their citizens rose with them. Even today over a century later, they apprise the leader that committed such act. Habasha’s want the millions live lost to be forgotten, our identity to be lost so we can accept Ethiopionzation as they dream. Remember not century go, but today Oromo’s are still being prosecuted for simply born as an Oromo.
Amazingly here in the West, far away from home they still seem to control some of us with their spell. The American saying goes “if it looks like a pig, smells like a pig and tastes like a pig, chances are ‘it is a pig’”. Remember, if we talk like them, dress like them or name our kids like them, than we become them. The difference between them and us is just our culture, language and religion. With so much complexity in modern religions truly it just our culture and language that differentiate us. In 2014, Habeshas expect us and our kids to speak their language. When we don’t, they ask “Why” as if we are one and the same, worse they make us feel inferior as we fail to learn some important language. More importantly we fail to ask them how come they don’t speak Afaan Oromo when they are born and raised with Oromian milk and honeys. What happen to the audacity, learning the culture and language of the country you reside? Of course that does not apply to Habasha’s, they are the “chosen”.
The hard core that I seem…
To give you an example of my experience, which led me to who I am today I would like to take you back spring of 2013. As a last year graduate student in small town Illinois I run into group of students, some whom I knew and others new faces. As I got close to group of students, I noticed unfamiliar face speaking directly at me in the language that seemed too familiar. Shortly after he finished his statement, I told him that I do not speak that language. Angry and disappointed as he was he walked away really fast. Everyone in the group (six people to be exact) smiled. Two second later he returned with few more of his language. Again, I said to him, “no offense but I think I told you I do not speak that language”. A good friend of mine that knew me for two-three years said, “I told you, she is not Ethiopian, she is an Oromo”. Surprised and amused he started laughing.
My colleagues and friends were so surprised by his act; they asked if we knew each other. While I understood my colleague’s confusion, I know too well what his real aches were. I walked away with smile on my face, saying to my friend, “clearly he has a problem. My friends shook their heads in agreement. Later that evening two of my colleagues told me some of the things he was saying about me. He said, “He knows I speak the language but I am trying to act American”. What he did not realize was that those people knew me way long before he came and everyone that had a chance to interact with me either as classmate or student representative (Senator at Large) know I was always Oromo. Even though he failed to learn I am Oromo from his fellow classmate, the following week I taught him a lesson he will never forget. I am sure he took it well and he would never violate any one else’s identity.
We are in America, the land of the free. It should not be up to someone like the guys I mentioned to tell us who we are. No one should define you; that time has passed. We should never alter our identity to please someone or something we are not. To some of us it is time we face our darkest fear. There are far too many of us that believe in being an Oromo but continue to claim someone else. Our reasons might be different, perhaps many, but if not now than when? Always remember you can only overcome your fear only by facing it. To go back to my “little friend”, he later came try to tell me that he was in fact an Oromo form his dad side. He didn’t speak the language because he was born and raised in “Addis”. I think we all know what that means.
If you have read this far, you are probably wondering why am I writing about this now. I guess my answer would be it is my recent encounter with the young lady I mentioned above, and the place this month holds in my heart. I am not sure if everyone knows what the month April represents. As the saying goes, it is no brainer to know little about your history. April 15th is the day all Oromo’s should remember. It is Oromo Martyrs day or the day we commemorate those who fallen while paving the path to freedom to us. If you cannot celebrate this day for whatever reason, it is your duty to remember the shoulders you rode on and the identity you enjoy today. It is your responsibility to educate your fellow Oromo’s and non-Oromo’s what this mean to you and your people. The best way to represent your identity is through culture; culture is best kept by practice. As an Oromo if we cannot agree on everything, I am certain on this day, this month we can all come together to celebrate April 15th.
Happy “Guyya Gootat Oromo”    source  (  http://ayyaantuu.com/horn-of-africa-news/oromia/neglected-identity-a-special-issue-of-biftu-bari/   )

No comments:

Post a Comment